SMOKIN' WITH SMITHFIELD NATIONAL BARBECUE CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS CHASE
REGISTRATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Eligibility: The Smithfield "Smokin' with Smithfield National Barbecue Championship Points Chase" Competition (the "Competition") is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia and whose Primary Pit Master (head cook as designated at the time of registration) is at least eighteen (18) years old and all other team members are at least sixteen (16) years old at the time of registration. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Employees, officers and directors of BBQData.com and members of their immediate families (spouses and parents, children and siblings and their spouses), and/or those living in the same household of such individual, are not eligible to participate. Participation constitutes each team member's full and unconditional agreement to these Terms and Conditions and Sponsor's decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Competition.
- Sponsor: Smithfield Foods Inc., 200 Commerce Street, Smithfield, VA 23430.
- Timing: The following table outlines the key dates of the Competition:
September 13, 2018 – July 1, 2019
Teams must register during the Registration Period in order for their scores to count towards eligibility for the Smokin' With Smithfield National Barbecue Championship Playoffs.
Competition Scoring Period
September 1, 2018 – August 1, 2019
During this time, team scores in sanctioned competitions will be reported to BBQData.com and tracked on the Competition Website (defined below).
Deadline to Register
11:59 p.m. ET on July 1, 2019
Deadline for teams to register for their scores to count towards eligibility for the Smokin' With Smithfield National Barbecue Championship Playoffs.
Scoring Lock-In Date
Within 10 days after specific competition
Period of time the Sponsor will verify and, if necessary, update team scores as reported during the Competition Scoring Period based on data received from the Sanctioning Bodies.
Playoff Team Announcement
On or about September 15, 2019
Date when the Sponsor will announce the 24 registered teams who are eligible to compete in the Smokin' With Smithfield National Barbecue Championship Playoffs.
- How to Play: During the Registration Period, one (1) team member from each team competing in a barbecue competition conducted by one of the participating Sanctioning Bodies (defined below) must complete the registration form on www.smokinwithsmithfield.com (such member will be the "Primary Pit Master"). The participating Sanctioning Bodies include only Kansas City Barbecue Society, International Barbecue Cookers Association and Florida BBQ Association, Barbecue Competitors Alliance, Pacific Northwest Barbecue Association, and St. Louis Barbecue Society (collectively, the "Sanctioning Bodies"). The Primary Pit Master must obtain consent and agreement to these Terms and Conditions from all of his/her team members prior to registration in the Competition. If any team member is under the age of eighteen (18) or the age of majority in his/her state of residence, the Primary Pit Master must receive express consent from such member's parent or legal guardian and agrees to provide written documentation of such consent to Sponsor at Sponsor's request. The Primary Pit Master must complete the registration form within the Registration Period in order for his/her team to be eligible to compete in the Smokin' with Smithfield National Barbecue Championship Playoffs ("Playoffs") to be held in 2019. Teams may only register once in this Competition – any duplicate registrations will be voided. Team members may only compete in one registered team during the Competition Scoring Period.The Primary Pit Master hereby agrees to update the team registration information in the event any team members change during the course of the Competition Scoring Period, it being understood that the Primary Pit Master cannot be changed or replaced. Any changes to contact information of the team members, including the Primary Pit Master, must be communicated in writing to Sponsor as soon as possible, but no later than June 15, 2019. Changes must be made by email or in writing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: name of team registered for Competition, name of team member being added/removed and effective date of change, and the name of your Primary Pit Master. Limit of five (5) team member changes during the time period leading up June 15, 2019.
- Scoring: During the Competition Scoring Period, Sponsor will collect data from BBQData.com in connection with participating Barbecue competitions held during such period by the Sanctioning Bodies. BBQData.com will work in cooperation with the Sanctioning Bodies to identify and allocate points for each team participating in sanctioned Barbecue competitions based on BBQData.com's scoring algorithm, designed to ensure fairness given the variables of each Barbecue competition (described in more detail below).
The teams who rank in the top 10 Overall at each Barbecue competition held by a Sanctioning Body will earn the following points initial points by place in the BBQData.com database:
1st = 2000 points
2nd = 1500 points
3rd = 1000 points
4th = 750 points
5th = 525 Points
6th = 375 points
7th = 275 points
8th = 200 points
9th = 150 points
10th = 100 points
Then, these top 10 teams will also be allocated additional points in the BBQData.com database based on the Barbecue competition's size. BBQData.com will add points to their score based on an algorithm that factors in the number of participating teams and size of the overall Barbecue competition.
BBQData.com will update its scoreboard regularly to show each team's ranking based on the scoring described above. Sponsor will also display a scoreboard based on BBQData.com's reporting on its www.smokinwithsmithfield.com webpage. Registration in the Competitions is not required for BBQData.com or Sponsor to post a team's score.
At the end of the Competition Scoring Period (and subsequent Scoring Lock-In Date, if necessary and as determined by Sponsor in its discretion), Sponsor will identify the twenty-four (24) teams that (i) successfully registered for the Competition during the Registration Period, and (ii) accumulated the highest scores during the Competition Scoring Period (subject to any set-offs by the Scoring Lock-In Date) (collectively, the potential "Competition Finalists"). Only the top twelve (12) scores received by a registered team during the Competition Scoring Period will count towards that team's overall score in the Competition.The potential Competition Finalists must review and agree to the terms of participation for the Smokin' with Smithfield National Barbecue Championship prior to being named as a Competition Finalist. Once confirmed by Sponsor, the Competition Finalists will receive the title of a "Smokin' with Smithfield National Barbecue Championship Points Chase Winner" and will be invited to participate in the Smithfield "Smokin' with Smithfield National Barbecue Championship Playoffs" in New Orleans, LA in November 2019 (more information regarding the Playoffs will be communicated to the potential Competition Finalists upon notice). In the event any of the potential Competition Finalists do not wish to participate, are unable to participate in the Playoffs, fail to comply with these Registration Terms and Conditions or fail to return requested Playoff documentation by the deadlines set by the Sponsor, then such potential Competition Finalist may be disqualified and the eligible team(s) with the next highest scores from the Competition Scoring Period will be invited until there are a total of twenty four (24) teams competing in the Playoffs.
- Release/Publicity: By registering for the Competition, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, the Sanctioning Bodies, BBQData.com, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company's officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Competition and for claims based on publicity rights and intellectual property rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. Except where prohibited, participation in the Competition constitutes each team member's consent to Sponsor's and its agents' use of the team's name, team member names, and team imagery submitted to the Sanctioning Body, and/or hometown and state of the team and its members for purposes of conducting the Competition and for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration. In the event that any team or team member engages in any unsportsmanlike, offensive, or otherwise inappropriate conduct during the Competition, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify the team member or the entire team. Sponsor and the Sanctioning Bodies are not responsible for any disputes, disagreements, miscommunications or other acts or omissions among team members in connection with the Competition. Sponsor's decisions in connection with the Competition are final and binding.
- Limitations of Liability: The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by registered team members, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software (including, without limitation, technical failures of BBQData.com and its scoring algorithm); (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Competition; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Competition, processing of entries, or tracking of scores; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen communications; or (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant's participation in the Competition.
- General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Competition, or any part of it, if any technical failures, computer glitches, fraud, human error or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Competition, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry/registration process, score collection or the operation of the Competition or to be acting in violation of these Terms and Conditions of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Terms and Conditions shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Sponsor reserves the right to amend or modify these Terms and Conditions at any time.
- Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Competition shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the State or Federal courts located in Virginia; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Competition, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Terms and Conditions, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Competition, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Virginia.